Monday, January 16, 2012

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

How many times have you heard that?  It must be true.

I am constantly on a quest to lose what I feel is about 10 pounds.   And every trainer, nutritionist and gym rat tells me, 'you gotta eat a great breakfast'.

So, I've learned to love oatmeal.  In all forms.  I make a wicked baked oatmeal, which I will definitely share later.  Delicious.  But mostly, I nuke a quarter cup of quick oats, add some almond butter and splenda and call this a done deal.

But as I said, I'm always on a quest.

So, at the gym the other day, I'm eating oatmeal and this 5'11" amazing blond instructor is creating a concoction fit for the birds.  Yet, I'm interested.  It was a combination of hemp seeds (yes, that hemp), chia seeds (as in, 'cha cha cha chia'), goji berries and almond milk.  Now, I like nutty flavors and textures. I love nuts.  And this combination was right in my taste and texture wheelhouse.

Plus, she says it fills her up all day.

All day?  Awesome.  I'm in.

A trip to the local Whole Foods bulk department and I left with Almond Milk (vanilla) chia and hemp seeds.  No goji berries. They were out.  So, I got raspberries.  I like them better anyway.

I've come up with my own little muesli of sorts, so here is what I"m eating (right now, as it happens) for breakfast:

2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tsp hemp seeds (if I test positive for drugs I will be so mad)
2 tbsp flax seeds
raspberries
1/4 C vanilla almond milk (plus more because all those seeds suck up the milk in a hurry and it's like glue)

This will NOT be for everyone.  No doubt.  And, I'm not an extreme eater, let me just state that clearly.  But I'm giving it a shot.  Say, a week or two.  It's supposed to make me not jones out for food in an hour or two and give me energy.  We will see.  I'll keep you, as they say, posted.

Meanwhile, I need some floss.

No comments:

Post a Comment