Sunday, January 15, 2012

Why Call This Blog The Crazy Baby Elephant?


Because, that's who I am.  And, because it's what my husband suggested and it seemed just perfect.

See, I was a pretty clumsy kid.  A tomboy at my best, I had scrapes, scratches, bruises and bumps covering any part of my body not covered in dirt.  My mother tried to wrench any kind of grace into me by putting me in ballet classes, jazz, tap.  She even threatened finishing school.  Nothing worked.

She called me, lovingly, her Baby Elephant.  Not because I was big.  Because I was always falling or knocking something over.  If someone was going to knock over their milk at dinner, it was me.  If we went into a gift shop, I'd inevitably drop the glass figurine.

My husband added the Crazy to my Baby Elephant title.  And really, who could blame him?

After all, I'm like a whirling dervish.  I've always got a project (or two or three) going.  I'm cooking, creating, sewing, knitting, gardening.  I forced him to build a chicken coop so I could get, of course, chickens.  Why not?  Martha Stewart has them.  If she's got 'em why not me?

I wake up in the middle of the night with what my mom would term "ants in my pants".  I have to get up and do the laundry.  Bake cookies or oatmeal at 4:30 in the morning.  Build a headboard for my kid's room.  Why?  Why not?  Sitting and just watching TV doesn't really happen for me.  My hands are knitting or crocheting or looking through a design magazine for inspiration.

So, laid back is not my forte.

I'm pretty sure my kids, my husband, even my dogs think I'm a little nutty at times.  The chickens don't care.  They're not that smart.  People I work with (yes, I have a real job) know I'm crazy, but love when I bring in things I'm testing in the kitchen.  So, they put up with me.

And by the way, I don't live on a farm.  I live in a lovely neighborhood in the metropolis known as Cincinnati, Ohio.  On less than an acre of land we have chickens, dogs and a pretty nice garden that feeds us some delicious veggies and herbs.


Which is great 'cuz I love to cook.  Cook, bake, chop, saute.  I love it.  I love cookbooks and celebrity chefs.  I get chef crushes and fall in love with types of cooking.  Ina Garten, Lucinda Scala Quinn, Bobby Flay, the list goes on and on.

I am passionate about virtually anything that has to do with "HOME".  Decorating, cooking, gardening, photography,creating and last but not least, my husband and children.

You could say I'm a Jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.  And you'd be right.  And, yes I should have named my blog that.  And I would have.  But it was taken.

Strangely, The Crazy Baby Elephant wasn't.  Amazing luck, huh?

It's possible, quite possible, no one will ever read this but me (and I'll force my husband).  That's okay.  But I hope someone finds it.  Finds inside some inspiration, humor, maybe even an a-ha moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment